”I desperately wanted him on,” Alias creator J.J. Abrams says of his March 14 guest star, ”but his managers were very protective and kept me at bay.” Sean Penn? Bill Murray? No, Ricky Gervais – cult idol of BBC America’s double – Golden Globed sitcom The Office. But Abrams got his man: Gervais plays Daniel Ryan, the world’s smartest bomb maker – quite a stretch from dense Office manager David Brent. ”The Office is, actually, just as dramatic as it is comedic,” Abrams says. ”Having said that, Ricky did have a blast” – no pun intended – ”on the set. In fact, there was probably more goofing off during the filming of this episode than any other. Ricky and Victor [Garber, who plays Jennifer Garner’s CIA-agent dad] together were a particular [discipline] problem.” Sounds like Abrams needed to crack the whip around his office…
Posted March 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...