”First thing is the belt/worn soft from my father’s pant loops/curling like a black eternity glyph/across my legs.” Thus begins Albanese’s lyrical and often graphic memoir, told entirely in free verse. She survives a stormy suburban adolescence (”I passed out at the wheel/smashed into a house/totaled the car”) and lands a job in New York City, but never shakes her roots. The day she sees Picasso’s Guernica her heart throbs: ”I’ll never catch up/because I am a daughter of blue suburbia/raised on Campbell’s soup casseroles/and cans of crispy onions.” Later, she grapples with marriage, parenthood, and her mother’s death, nearly suffering a nervous breakdown. As she pulls back from the edge and finds joy in life, Albanese delivers a rare reading experience – moving but never sentimental.
Blue Suburbia ''First thing is the belt/worn soft from my father's pant loops/curling like a black eternity glyph/across my legs.'' Thus begins Albanese's lyrical...Blue SuburbiaNonfictionLaurie Lico Albanese ''First thing is the belt/worn soft from my father's pant loops/curling like a black eternity glyph/across my legs.'' Thus begins Albanese's lyrical...2004-03-19
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Laurie Lico Albanese
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- David Duchovny on 'Late Show': 'X-Files' revival plans return of Walter Skinner and Smoking Man
- Nick Offerman, Megan Mullally cancel Indiana show
- 'The Flash': THAT unmasked man on shocking Reverse Flash twist
- Mark Wahlberg to produce Boston Marathon bombing movie 'Patriots' Day'
- 'American Idol' alum Justin Guarini on how he became Diet Dr. Pepper’s Lil' Sweet
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!