”First thing is the belt/worn soft from my father’s pant loops/curling like a black eternity glyph/across my legs.” Thus begins Albanese’s lyrical and often graphic memoir, told entirely in free verse. She survives a stormy suburban adolescence (”I passed out at the wheel/smashed into a house/totaled the car”) and lands a job in New York City, but never shakes her roots. The day she sees Picasso’s Guernica her heart throbs: ”I’ll never catch up/because I am a daughter of blue suburbia/raised on Campbell’s soup casseroles/and cans of crispy onions.” Later, she grapples with marriage, parenthood, and her mother’s death, nearly suffering a nervous breakdown. As she pulls back from the edge and finds joy in life, Albanese delivers a rare reading experience – moving but never sentimental.
Blue Suburbia ''First thing is the belt/worn soft from my father's pant loops/curling like a black eternity glyph/across my legs.'' Thus begins Albanese's lyrical...Blue SuburbiaNonfictionLaurie Lico Albanese ''First thing is the belt/worn soft from my father's pant loops/curling like a black eternity glyph/across my legs.'' Thus begins Albanese's lyrical...2004-03-19
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Laurie Lico Albanese
Posted March 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Amber Rose and Blac Chyna challenged all the haters with their VMAs outfits
- Nicki Minaj brings out Taylor Swift to open the 2015 MTV VMAs
- Taylor Swift debuts 'Wildest Dreams' music video before the VMAs
- Nick Jonas crushes the VMA red carpet with 'Levels' performance
- T-Pain took over EW's Instagram for the VMAs
- 5 Seconds of Summer wins 2015 Song of the Summer VMA for 'She's Kinda Hot'
- The MTV VMAs winners list for 2015
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!