If you think Cypress Hill’s new single, ”What’s Your Number?,” sounds a lot like the Clash, you’re not suffering a flashback to your pot-smoking days (don’t try to deny them). The track is, in fact, based on ”The Guns of Brixton,” from the band’s classic album London Calling. Nosy buggers that we are, we asked the Hill’s DJ Muggs, What’s up with that, dawg? ”I’ve been a Clash fan for a long time, but I’d never actually sampled them because I thought it was too obvious,” says Muggs. ”But one day I was listening to ‘Guns of Brixton,’ and I thought, This song is dope. It gave me the idea to do a song called ‘Guns of L.A.”’ Muggs brought the concept to his partner, rapper B-Real, who kept the music but came up with a new set of lyrics that focused on girls, not guns. Then, at the suggestion of a friend, the band brought in Tim Armstrong, from the Clash-influenced punk band Rancid, to play guitar on the track. Still, Muggs admits he was surprised to learn that it was Clash bassist Paul Simonon, not Joe Strummer or Mick Jones, who wrote the song. ”I saw his name on the publishing, and I was like, ‘What the f – -? Who’s this guy?’ I didn’t know.” Didn’t know, or kinda spaced out the Clash lineup a few hundred bong hits back?
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!