Brite’s follow-up to her 2002 gay coming-of-age novel, The Value of X, revisits an older John Rickey and Gary ”G-Man” Stubbs as recently unemployed New Orleans line cooks with a brainstorm: to start a restaurant with a menu featuring alcohol in every dish. With help from a wealthy backer, the two embark on a vodka-soaked quest for fame, fortune, and the perfect tapenade. Stumbling blocks include the restaurant site’s pesky Mob-murder past and a cokehead ex-boss who has it out for Rickey. Steeped in spicy dialogue and N’awlins flavor, Liquor offers a behind-the-swinging-door peek into the world of chefs, at once chaotic, slightly depraved, and food-obsessed. Despite the fairly predictable plot, sumptuous descriptions of drizzled sauces and pecan-crusted entrees make Liquor a pleasant after-dinner read.
Liquor Brite's follow-up to her 2002 gay coming-of-age novel, The Value of X, revisits an older John Rickey and Gary ''G-Man'' Stubbs as recently unemployed...LiquorFictionPoppy Z. Brite Brite's follow-up to her 2002 gay coming-of-age novel, The Value of X, revisits an older John Rickey and Gary ''G-Man'' Stubbs as recently unemployed...2004-03-19
Genre: Fiction; Author: Poppy Z. Brite
Posted March 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!