Brite’s follow-up to her 2002 gay coming-of-age novel, The Value of X, revisits an older John Rickey and Gary ”G-Man” Stubbs as recently unemployed New Orleans line cooks with a brainstorm: to start a restaurant with a menu featuring alcohol in every dish. With help from a wealthy backer, the two embark on a vodka-soaked quest for fame, fortune, and the perfect tapenade. Stumbling blocks include the restaurant site’s pesky Mob-murder past and a cokehead ex-boss who has it out for Rickey. Steeped in spicy dialogue and N’awlins flavor, Liquor offers a behind-the-swinging-door peek into the world of chefs, at once chaotic, slightly depraved, and food-obsessed. Despite the fairly predictable plot, sumptuous descriptions of drizzled sauces and pecan-crusted entrees make Liquor a pleasant after-dinner read.
Liquor Brite's follow-up to her 2002 gay coming-of-age novel, The Value of X, revisits an older John Rickey and Gary ''G-Man'' Stubbs as recently unemployed...LiquorFictionPoppy Z. Brite Brite's follow-up to her 2002 gay coming-of-age novel, The Value of X, revisits an older John Rickey and Gary ''G-Man'' Stubbs as recently unemployed...2004-03-19
Genre: Fiction; Author: Poppy Z. Brite
Posted March 19 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Elisabeth Moss to star in Hulu series The Handmaid's Tale
- WATCH: Reid Scott reveals who laughs the most on the set of 'Veep'
- What time is the White House Correspondents Dinner?
- Mario Lopez, Anderson Cooper: Who's replacing Michael Strahan?
- Larry Wilmore gets advice for White House Correspondents' Dinner
- What to Watch This Weekend: 'Veep' hooks up with John Slattery
- Teacher suspended for showing high school class 'Human Centipede 2'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch