Writing a sequel may seem easy, but creating a literary hero worthy of one is another matter. In 2000’s critically acclaimed A Conspiracy of Paper, Liss introduced Benjamin Weaver, a Jewish boxer-turned-gumshoe who sleuthed and slugged his way through 18th-century London. Like Sam Spade in a powdered wig, Weaver deliciously dispensed bon mots and bare-knuckle justice to a cabal of stock-market swindlers. Three years later, on the eve of a crooked national election between the Whigs and Tories, Weaver is framed for murder and must put the screws to the city’s cutpurses and jackanapes to prove his innocence. Liss conjures musty alehouses and grimy back alleys so vividly you can smell the yeast and urine. But as with many literary second helpings, there’s a whiff of familiarity, too.
A Spectacle of Corruption Writing a sequel may seem easy, but creating a literary hero worthy of one is another matter. In 2000's critically acclaimed A Conspiracy of Paper,...A Spectacle of CorruptionFictionDavid Liss Writing a sequel may seem easy, but creating a literary hero worthy of one is another matter. In 2000's critically acclaimed A Conspiracy of Paper,...2004-03-26
Genre: Fiction; Author: David Liss
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!