Twenty years ago, Ron Howard had hair, Tom Hanks was best known for dressing in drag as a Bosom Buddy, and a movie about a mermaid was too risque for the Disney label. Splash jump-started several Hollywood careers, and the fish-out-of-water love story still floats today. John Candy and Eugene Levy get some laughs, and Hanks gets the girl – er, fish. But it’s the writers – Lowell Ganz, Babaloo Mandel, and Bruce Jay Friedman – who are responsible for the classic scenes (lobster, anyone?) and lines (”She’s really hungry”) that make this movie worth revisiting. EXTRAS The features are few – a making-of doc; some grainy audition tapes; a commentary with Howard, the writers, and producer Brian Grazer – but full of tidbits: Even though Splash was a product of Disney’s hip new division Touchstone, Howard still worried that execs would cut his film to qualify for a G rating. Then there was the studio’s concern that, as Howard says, ”nobody’s going to go to a Tom Hanks movie.”
Splash Twenty years ago, Ron Howard had hair, Tom Hanks was best known for dressing in drag as a Bosom Buddy, and a movie about a mermaid was too risque for...Splash Twenty years ago, Ron Howard had hair, Tom Hanks was best known for dressing in drag as a Bosom Buddy, and a movie about a mermaid was too risque for...2004-03-26John CandyEugene Levy
Starring: Tom Hanks, Daryl Hannah; Starring: John Candy, Eugene Levy; Director: Ron Howard; Producer (person): Brian Grazer
Posted March 26 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday