Johansen rarely strays far from her formula: (1) A tough, damaged woman has a special gift – in this case, it’s Kerry Murphy, a fire survivor who awakens from a coma with the bizarre ability to identify arson and sense when her friends are aflame; (2) a macho hero needs the heroine’s gift – thus we have Brad Silver, a mind-controlling undercover agent tracking down (3) a diabolical villain, here the inventor of a combustion thingie that he’s trying to sell to the North Koreans…after he kills off the techies who helped build it; (4) girl clashes with boy, boy says funny, un-dudelike dialogue (”You’re damn tooting”), and they find love, healing, and action. Firestorm isn’t as clever as Johansen’s Eve Duncan series, but it offers some cheesy fun.
Firestorm Johansen rarely strays far from her formula: (1) A tough, damaged woman has a special gift -- in this case, it's Kerry Murphy, a fire survivor who...FirestormFictionIris Johansen Johansen rarely strays far from her formula: (1) A tough, damaged woman has a special gift -- in this case, it's Kerry Murphy, a fire survivor who...2004-04-02
Genre: Fiction; Author: Iris Johansen
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More