Johansen rarely strays far from her formula: (1) A tough, damaged woman has a special gift – in this case, it’s Kerry Murphy, a fire survivor who awakens from a coma with the bizarre ability to identify arson and sense when her friends are aflame; (2) a macho hero needs the heroine’s gift – thus we have Brad Silver, a mind-controlling undercover agent tracking down (3) a diabolical villain, here the inventor of a combustion thingie that he’s trying to sell to the North Koreans…after he kills off the techies who helped build it; (4) girl clashes with boy, boy says funny, un-dudelike dialogue (”You’re damn tooting”), and they find love, healing, and action. Firestorm isn’t as clever as Johansen’s Eve Duncan series, but it offers some cheesy fun.
Firestorm Johansen rarely strays far from her formula: (1) A tough, damaged woman has a special gift -- in this case, it's Kerry Murphy, a fire survivor who...FirestormFictionIris Johansen Johansen rarely strays far from her formula: (1) A tough, damaged woman has a special gift -- in this case, it's Kerry Murphy, a fire survivor who...2004-04-02
Genre: Fiction; Author: Iris Johansen
Posted April 2 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...