Pulitzer winner Weiner (The Beak of the Finch) follows the Heywoods, a charismatic Massachusetts family rocked by middle son Stephen’s diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a.k.a. Lou Gehrig’s disease. As 29-year-old Stephen battles its incurable, degenerative neural effects, older brother Jamie suddenly switches careers, from mechanical to genetic engineer, in a medical race to save his sibling. Weiner, whose own mother suffers from a similar ailment, writes an eloquent and engrossing story that’s equal parts heartbreaking and hopeful – a very human tale of superhuman will in a molecular world. The Heywoods not only explore the untested boundaries of gene therapy but also maintain faith when ”the odds against Jamie’s plan were so long that…hope almost felt like the heavier weight.”
His Brother's Keeper Pulitzer winner Weiner (The Beak of the Finch) follows the Heywoods, a charismatic Massachusetts family rocked by middle son Stephen's diagnosis of...His Brother's KeeperNonfictionJonathan Weiner Pulitzer winner Weiner (The Beak of the Finch) follows the Heywoods, a charismatic Massachusetts family rocked by middle son Stephen's diagnosis of...2004-04-02
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Jonathan Weiner
Posted April 2 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!