There’s a new sexagenarian in town and she’s feeling good: On March 31, Tony winner Linda Lavin – who served up thousands of blue plate specials on CBS’ long-running sitcom Alice – storms into The O.C.’s Cohen household for a Passover seder that’ll make last year’s Christmukkah feast look like, well, a day at the beach. ”Everybody’s terrified of her,” laughs Lavin, who plays Sophie, the ”liberal New York socialist” mother of Peter Gallagher’s Sandy. The New York part isn’t a stretch for Lavin, who was a Broadway fixture (The Tale of the Allergist’s Wife) before launching her traveling one-woman cabaret show. She admits that she had ”no idea what The O.C. meant. I thought it was a medical show! I had to call a friend who said, ‘Um, it’s only the biggest hit on TV right now.”’ She quickly bit, much to the delight of her two teenage grandnieces. ”It doesn’t matter that I’ve been in the biz for umpteen years. They’re now familiar with me for the first time, screaming on the phone, ‘You got to meet Seth! You got to meet Ryan!’ Finally, I’ve made it.” Welcome to The O.C., Grandma!
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Game of Thrones: Melisandre actress on nude scenes and Jon Snow interest
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' products to hit shelves in September
- J.K. Rowling apologizes for 'Harry Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7M at weekend box office, second-best U.S. debut ever
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!