Torturous and powerful, writer-director Peter Mullan’s drama, The Magdalene Sisters, is, alas, more than a fictional account. The film, set in 1964 Ireland, tells the story of Bernadette (Nora-Jane Noone), Margaret (Anne-Marie Duff), Rose (Dorothy Duffy), and Crispina (Eileen Walsh), who are sent to a Magdalene convent – where supposedly promiscuous girls symbolically cleansed their sinful souls by washing laundry, and received merciless punishments and sexual advances in return. Stunning newcomer Noone delivers an enrapturing performance as a defiant orphan determined to escape, while Geraldine McEwan chills as a monstrous nun whose cruelty seems boundless. EXTRAS ”Sex in a Cold Climate” chronicles the history of the Magdalene asylums (finally shut down in 1996) and offers testimony from four of the 30,000 women who withstood life within their harrowing walls.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Anne-Marie Duff, Dorothy Duffy, Nora-Jane Noone, Geraldine McEwan, Eileen Walsh; Director: Peter Mullan; Author: Peter Mullan; Runtime (in minutes): 119; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Miramax
Posted April 2 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'House of Cards' premiere react: Blood on the Tracks
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!