Torturous and powerful, writer-director Peter Mullan’s drama, The Magdalene Sisters, is, alas, more than a fictional account. The film, set in 1964 Ireland, tells the story of Bernadette (Nora-Jane Noone), Margaret (Anne-Marie Duff), Rose (Dorothy Duffy), and Crispina (Eileen Walsh), who are sent to a Magdalene convent – where supposedly promiscuous girls symbolically cleansed their sinful souls by washing laundry, and received merciless punishments and sexual advances in return. Stunning newcomer Noone delivers an enrapturing performance as a defiant orphan determined to escape, while Geraldine McEwan chills as a monstrous nun whose cruelty seems boundless. EXTRAS ”Sex in a Cold Climate” chronicles the history of the Magdalene asylums (finally shut down in 1996) and offers testimony from four of the 30,000 women who withstood life within their harrowing walls.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Anne-Marie Duff, Dorothy Duffy, Nora-Jane Noone, Geraldine McEwan, Eileen Walsh; Director: Peter Mullan; Author: Peter Mullan; Runtime (in minutes): 119; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Miramax
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!