Finally, a new generation of kids can float away on the entrancing cartoon creation of Harry Nilsson (1941-94), the American singer-songwriter who counted the Beatles among his admirers. His TV special, with his story and songs and director Fred Wolf’s simple but pretty animation, centers on Oblio, a little boy with a round head stuck in a fairy-tale kingdom where everybody else’s head comes to a point. Ostracized for his difference and banished to the Pointless Forest, Oblio, accompanied by his dog, Arrow, has a eureka! moment: ”Everything we ran into had a point to it – the leaves, the trees… then I must have a point too!” Narrated by Starr (trivia note: Dustin Hoffman did the honors when it first aired on ABC TV), The Point is a prime example of mass-culture outreach by a countercultural artist (dig the psychedelic number ”P.O.V. Waltz”).
The Point Finally, a new generation of kids can float away on the entrancing cartoon creation of Harry Nilsson (1941-94), the American singer-songwriter who...The PointUnrated Finally, a new generation of kids can float away on the entrancing cartoon creation of Harry Nilsson (1941-94), the American singer-songwriter who...2004-04-02
Starring: Mike Lookinland, Ringo Starr; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!