Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn’t content with wall work. ”I’m going to build some solid f – -in houses,” he boasts early in Some Great Thing. It’s a dry-as-sawdust subject for a novel, but McAdam pours the foundation for a promising literary future, sometimes despite himself. His stream-of-consciousness prose is relentlessly alive. It’s also indulgent and messy, like a housepainter with splatter issues. The weakest link is the book’s other major character, Simon Struthers, a boring white-collar cog in Ottawa’s bureaucracy who is similarly determined to construct wonders in the suburban world. Half of Some Great Thing is pretty great indeed. The other half’s a fixer-upper.
Some Great Thing Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn't...Some Great ThingFictionColin McAdam Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn't...2004-04-02
Genre: Fiction; Author: Colin McAdam
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!