Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn’t content with wall work. ”I’m going to build some solid f – -in houses,” he boasts early in Some Great Thing. It’s a dry-as-sawdust subject for a novel, but McAdam pours the foundation for a promising literary future, sometimes despite himself. His stream-of-consciousness prose is relentlessly alive. It’s also indulgent and messy, like a housepainter with splatter issues. The weakest link is the book’s other major character, Simon Struthers, a boring white-collar cog in Ottawa’s bureaucracy who is similarly determined to construct wonders in the suburban world. Half of Some Great Thing is pretty great indeed. The other half’s a fixer-upper.
Some Great Thing Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn't...Some Great ThingFictionColin McAdam Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn't...2004-04-02
Genre: Fiction; Author: Colin McAdam
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!