Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn’t content with wall work. ”I’m going to build some solid f – -in houses,” he boasts early in Some Great Thing. It’s a dry-as-sawdust subject for a novel, but McAdam pours the foundation for a promising literary future, sometimes despite himself. His stream-of-consciousness prose is relentlessly alive. It’s also indulgent and messy, like a housepainter with splatter issues. The weakest link is the book’s other major character, Simon Struthers, a boring white-collar cog in Ottawa’s bureaucracy who is similarly determined to construct wonders in the suburban world. Half of Some Great Thing is pretty great indeed. The other half’s a fixer-upper.
Some Great Thing Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn't...Some Great ThingFictionColin McAdam Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn't...2004-04-02
Genre: Fiction; Author: Colin McAdam
Posted April 2 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Black Sabbath announce farewell tour
- 'Spectre' poster: James Bond is dressed to kill
- 'Empire' releases two new songs including collaboration with Pitbull & Ne-Yo
- ‘The Goldbergs’ plans Milli Vanilli, Christian Slater episode
- Reese Witherspoon teases secret Disney project
- Watch '90s kids freak out when they discover the meaning behind 'Macarena'
- What if King Joffrey were the hero of 'Game of Thrones'?
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!