Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn’t content with wall work. ”I’m going to build some solid f – -in houses,” he boasts early in Some Great Thing. It’s a dry-as-sawdust subject for a novel, but McAdam pours the foundation for a promising literary future, sometimes despite himself. His stream-of-consciousness prose is relentlessly alive. It’s also indulgent and messy, like a housepainter with splatter issues. The weakest link is the book’s other major character, Simon Struthers, a boring white-collar cog in Ottawa’s bureaucracy who is similarly determined to construct wonders in the suburban world. Half of Some Great Thing is pretty great indeed. The other half’s a fixer-upper.
Some Great Thing Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn't...Some Great ThingFictionColin McAdam Jerry McGuinty is a blue-collar Canadian man from a long line of blue-collar Canadian men, all whizzes with plaster. But the latest Jerry isn't...2004-04-02
Genre: Fiction; Author: Colin McAdam
Posted April 2 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lionsgate to produce 'Monopoly' movie, 'Truman Show' writer penning script
- Roselyn Sanchez says husband helped her dump Trump
- Check out Audien's Lady Antebellum collaboration 'Something Better'
- Joe Manganiello on how his mini-mart stripping masterpiece in 'Magic Mike XXL' came to be
- See the full trailer for Danny Boyle & Aaron Sorkin's 'Steve Jobs'
- J Balvin reacts to Trump fallout: Latinos are 'asking to be respected'
- See Ethan confront Harold in exclusive 'Wayward Pines' clip
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Lupita Nyong'o, Amber Heard, Rosario Dawson & More!