Next week on ”American Idol,” the guest judge will be someone for whom the word ”DiVAS” doesn’t refer to Fantasia or La Toya, but rather Deadly Viper Assassination Squad. It’s Quentin Tarantino, who’ll be the celebrity guest judge during a week in which the contestants will sing movie theme songs. The 41-year-old director follows ”Idol” closely, his publicist, Bumble Ward, told EW.com. ”He’s no dilettante. He’s the real deal when it comes to being a celebrity judge,” she said. So when asked to be a judge, ”he leapt at the opportunity.” (The guest stint also happens to coincide with the release next Friday of Tarantino’s ”Kill Bill – Vol. 2.”) No word on who his favorites are among the eight remaining finalists, but Ward says: ”He’s an ardent and opinionated fan of the show.” Also no word on which movie songs the contestants will sing, though we have some suggestions: First, please don’t let any of the women sing Whitney Houston’s ”Bodyguard” ballad ”I Will Always Love You.” Second, John Stevens’ Bing Crosby imitation could at last find an ideal fit with Der Bingle’s ”White Christmas.” Finally, if JPL sings ”Stuck in the Middle With You,” from Tarantino’s own ”Reservoir Dogs” soundtrack, we fear the filmmaker might slice his own ear off.
(Quentin Tarantino: WENN/NewsCom)
Posted April 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!