As Times Square turns 100 this month, two new books zap us through the ”lobster palaces,” burlesques, musical revues, roof gardens, ”grinder” movie houses, and porn shops that gave way to today’s Disneyfied, tourist-friendly corporate theme park. There’s rich American history here, and Ghosts, the better book, luxuriates in its unspooling. Bianco tells great stories about everyone from theater impresario Oscar Hammerstein, who invested $10,000 in a comic opera just to win a $100 bet, to smut king Richard Basciano, who created a peep-show emporium so big that not even the rise of video could kill it. Traub’s Playground hastily rushes through the history to get to the less-involving story of the square’s recent redevelopment. Both writers introduce Diamond Jim Brady, the triple-chinned Gilded Age fat cat who began eating with his tummy four inches from the table and didn’t stop until it touched, but only Bianco tells us – with showman’s aplomb – exactly what Brady ate for dinner: three dozen oysters, a dozen crabs, six lobsters, a steak (or two), a platter of French pastry, and a box of candy.
Ghosts of 42nd Street As Times Square turns 100 this month, two new books zap us through the ''lobster palaces,'' burlesques, musical revues, roof gardens, ''grinder''...Ghosts of 42nd StreetNonfictionAnthony Bianco As Times Square turns 100 this month, two new books zap us through the ''lobster palaces,'' burlesques, musical revues, roof gardens, ''grinder''...2004-04-09
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Anthony Bianco; Status: In Season
Posted April 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!