You’ve met the neurotic, overeating single-gal protagonist of Winston’s soggy first novel in countless Bridget Jones knockoffs. But Sophie Stanton, 36, boasts the distinction of having once persuaded a man to walk down the aisle – and then having lost him to cancer. ”How can I be a widow?” she moans, oozing self-pity. ”Widows wear horn-rimmed glasses and cardigan sweaters that smell like mothballs and have crepe-paper skin and names like Gladys or Midge…” After spending several months devouring whole bags of Oreos in bed – an exhausted chick-lit cliche – Sophie moves from Silicon Valley to Ashland, Ore. Here, she falls for a cleft-chinned stage actor, acquires an eccentric circle of new friends, and opens a cozy, acclaimed bakery in a denouement as cloying and unnutritious as one of her miniature cherry cheesecakes.
Good Grief You've met the neurotic, overeating single-gal protagonist of Winston's soggy first novel in countless Bridget Jones knockoffs. But Sophie Stanton, 36...Good GriefFictionLolly Winston You've met the neurotic, overeating single-gal protagonist of Winston's soggy first novel in countless Bridget Jones knockoffs. But Sophie Stanton, 36...2004-04-09
Genre: Fiction; Author: Lolly Winston
Posted April 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!