You’ve met the neurotic, overeating single-gal protagonist of Winston’s soggy first novel in countless Bridget Jones knockoffs. But Sophie Stanton, 36, boasts the distinction of having once persuaded a man to walk down the aisle – and then having lost him to cancer. ”How can I be a widow?” she moans, oozing self-pity. ”Widows wear horn-rimmed glasses and cardigan sweaters that smell like mothballs and have crepe-paper skin and names like Gladys or Midge…” After spending several months devouring whole bags of Oreos in bed – an exhausted chick-lit cliche – Sophie moves from Silicon Valley to Ashland, Ore. Here, she falls for a cleft-chinned stage actor, acquires an eccentric circle of new friends, and opens a cozy, acclaimed bakery in a denouement as cloying and unnutritious as one of her miniature cherry cheesecakes.
Good Grief You've met the neurotic, overeating single-gal protagonist of Winston's soggy first novel in countless Bridget Jones knockoffs. But Sophie Stanton, 36...Good GriefFictionLolly Winston You've met the neurotic, overeating single-gal protagonist of Winston's soggy first novel in countless Bridget Jones knockoffs. But Sophie Stanton, 36...2004-04-09
Genre: Fiction; Author: Lolly Winston
Posted April 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Missing backup dancer found safe after Rihanna’s emotional plea
- 'Uncharted' movie picks up Shawn Levy to direct
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy's EW blog: Pro gives advice to those still in the game
- Seth Rogen, more to dine on 'Martha & Snoop's Potluck Dinner Party'
- Kevin Curran, Emmy-winning 'Simpsons' producers, dies at 59
- 'The Goldbergs' staging 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' reunion — exclusive
- Honest Trailers takes on 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop