The Prestons unearthed a writer’s holy grail in William Dampier: a truly extraordinary man who has been largely, if mysteriously, forgotten. Orphaned as a child in 17th-century England, Dampier became an explorer, buccaneer, and naturalist at a young age. A man able to describe the beauty of a hummingbird yet partake in a brutal career of plunder and violence, Dampier was the first person to complete three journeys around the globe and the first to write a detailed account of the Galapagos in English (Darwin relied on his books). While Dampier was an acute observer of the world, he apparently wrote very little about himself or his emotional reactions, leaving Pirate (through no fault of the Prestons) heavy on Dampier’s itineraries but light on reflection.
A Pirate of Exquisite Mind The Prestons unearthed a writer's holy grail in William Dampier: a truly extraordinary man who has been largely, if mysteriously, forgotten. Orphaned...A Pirate of Exquisite MindNonfictionDiana Preston, Michael Preston The Prestons unearthed a writer's holy grail in William Dampier: a truly extraordinary man who has been largely, if mysteriously, forgotten. Orphaned...2004-04-09
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Diana Preston, Michael Preston
Posted April 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Floyd Mayweather, Katy Perry top Forbes' Celebrity 100 list
- Vertigo comic book movies headed to New Line
- Marvel’s 'Ant-Man' L.A. premiere livestream: Watch the red carpet arrivals here at 9 ET/6 PT
- Chris Pratt as Jason Statham in now-surfaced 'SNL' deleted sketch
- Everything you need to know about 'Magic Mike XXL,' in chart form
- Avril Lavigne is 'excited for life after' Lyme disease
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!