You won’t be seeing a Victoria’s Secret fashion show on TV this year, but it’s not because consumers are mystified by the lingerie seller’s recent choice of grizzled Bob Dylan as pitchman. Rather, you can blame the flimsy brassiere briefly worn by Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl. Ed Razek, the company’s chief creative officer, told the Associated Press that the company was dropping its annual telecast to look for other ways to promote the brand, but he acknowledged that the decision was made shortly after Jackson’s bra collapsed and prompted an FCC crackdown on broadcast indecency. ”We had to make the decision probably six to eight weeks ago when the heat was on the television networks.” CBS, which aired the two most recent Victoria’s Secret specials, hasn’t had anything to say about the dropping of the show, but after having broadcast Jackson’s Super Bowl ”wardrobe malfunction,” the network is probably relieved not to have the headache. Responses to the show have been dwindling ratings (it drew 9.4 million oglers last November) and increasing complaints to the FCC over its flesh quotient. Maybe Victoria’s Secret should make it a pay-per-view event; $20 to see the fashion show, or $40 to see it without interspersed footage of Bob Dylan.
Posted April 12 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!