You won’t be seeing a Victoria’s Secret fashion show on TV this year, but it’s not because consumers are mystified by the lingerie seller’s recent choice of grizzled Bob Dylan as pitchman. Rather, you can blame the flimsy brassiere briefly worn by Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl. Ed Razek, the company’s chief creative officer, told the Associated Press that the company was dropping its annual telecast to look for other ways to promote the brand, but he acknowledged that the decision was made shortly after Jackson’s bra collapsed and prompted an FCC crackdown on broadcast indecency. ”We had to make the decision probably six to eight weeks ago when the heat was on the television networks.” CBS, which aired the two most recent Victoria’s Secret specials, hasn’t had anything to say about the dropping of the show, but after having broadcast Jackson’s Super Bowl ”wardrobe malfunction,” the network is probably relieved not to have the headache. Responses to the show have been dwindling ratings (it drew 9.4 million oglers last November) and increasing complaints to the FCC over its flesh quotient. Maybe Victoria’s Secret should make it a pay-per-view event; $20 to see the fashion show, or $40 to see it without interspersed footage of Bob Dylan.
Posted April 12 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday