Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson revived the long-dead variety-show genre on Easter Sunday, and in the process, helped revive the Sunday fortunes of ABC. According to Nielsen, ”The Nick & Jessica Variety Hour” drew 11.4 million viewers and was the evening’s top show among 18-to-49-year-old viewers. It far outdrew the slot’s usual occupant, ”Alias” (which is averaging 8.1 million viewers), and it was the night’s second most-viewed show, second only to ABC’s own ”Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” (11.7 million), which preceded it. As a result of the ”Newlyweds” stars’ success, ABC is planning another installment at Christmastime, according to the New York Daily News, with an eye toward making their ”Variety Hour” a quarterly special. We’re sure that Lou Ferrigno, the Captain and Tennille, and Reggie Jackson are lining up to be guests.
(The Nick & Jessica Variety Hour: Carin Baer)
Posted April 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Johnny Depp could face jail time for illegally bringing dogs to Australia
- Jake Owen shifts gears on infectious new single, talks 'funkier' new album
- Jon Stewart helps Iraq War veterans find jobs in TV
- Queen Latifah channels LL Cool J for her 'Lip Sync Battle' performance
- Katharine McPhee drops catchy comeback single 'Lick My Lips'
- Kanye's anniversary tweet to Kim was super romantic
- Rumer Willis looks exactly like Demi Moore in new Instagram pic
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!