Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson revived the long-dead variety-show genre on Easter Sunday, and in the process, helped revive the Sunday fortunes of ABC. According to Nielsen, ”The Nick & Jessica Variety Hour” drew 11.4 million viewers and was the evening’s top show among 18-to-49-year-old viewers. It far outdrew the slot’s usual occupant, ”Alias” (which is averaging 8.1 million viewers), and it was the night’s second most-viewed show, second only to ABC’s own ”Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” (11.7 million), which preceded it. As a result of the ”Newlyweds” stars’ success, ABC is planning another installment at Christmastime, according to the New York Daily News, with an eye toward making their ”Variety Hour” a quarterly special. We’re sure that Lou Ferrigno, the Captain and Tennille, and Reggie Jackson are lining up to be guests.
(The Nick & Jessica Variety Hour: Carin Baer)
Posted April 13 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Here’s how Neville Longbottom wished J.K. Rowling a Happy Birthday
- The time J.J. Abrams broke his back trying to help Harrison Ford
- Are you smarter than a Whoopi Goldberg impersonator?
- 50 things we love about J.K. Rowling for her 50th birthday
- Surprise! One Direction drop first song without Zayn
- Vampire Weekend bassist premieres solo-project single
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Helen Mirren, Tom Cruise, The Baldwins & More!