Revenge is sweet – and lucrative. Between the release of ”Kill Bill – Vol. 1” on DVD earlier this week and the theatrical opening of ”Vol. 2” on Friday, Quentin Tarantino’s saga of the vengeful Bride (Uma Thurman) is poised to earn $100 million this week. Variety does the math: Tuesday saw ”Vol. 1” sell an impressive 2 million DVDs – that’s $40 million right there. The trade paper expects total first-week sales and rentals of the video to reach at least $70 million, about what ”Vol. 1” earned in theaters. Add to that an expected $30 million opening-weekend box office from ”Vol. 2,” and you have a nine-figure week for Buena Vista Home Entertainment and Miramax. That’s almost enough to make parent company Disney forget ”The Alamo.”
(Kill Bill: Andrew Cooper)
Posted April 15 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Chris Messina in talks to join Ben Affleck's Live By Night
- Minions clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!