This collection of funny vituperations against bad grammar was a surprise best-seller in England, where delight is taken in such bracing sentiments as ”If you still persist in writing ‘Good food at it’s best,’ you deserve to be struck by lightning, hacked up on the spot and buried in an unmarked grave.” Truss is William Safire crossed with John Cleese’s Basil Fawlty – amusingly short-tempered about misplaced apostrophes, commas, and quotation marks. It was unwise, however, to publish Eats on this side of the pond without adjusting its admonitions to U.S. practices. Any Yank confused about where to put a period in quoted dialogue – for example, ”I said, ‘You’re nice”’ – will still be confused (and marked incorrect by teachers) after reading Truss’ lengthy explanation. Eats works well as a humor book, but not as a remedy for American solecisms.
Eats, Shoots & Leaves This collection of funny vituperations against bad grammar was a surprise best-seller in England, where delight is taken in such bracing sentiments as...Eats, Shoots & LeavesNonfictionLynne Truss This collection of funny vituperations against bad grammar was a surprise best-seller in England, where delight is taken in such bracing sentiments as...2004-04-16Gotham
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Lynne Truss; Publisher: Gotham
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!