Rahman is fabulously clever, and these eight absurd, linked stories suggest that he’d make a most amusing drinking buddy. So would his hero, the curiously named Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, a failed Pakistani actor and bad-guy star of America’s Most Wanted reenactments. Kareem’s first weakness is bourbon; his second, would-be ingenues. His ex-wife, Eileen, ”looked like coffee, pull-ups, and celery. She looked like an actress.” At times, Kareem’s drunken exploits – his impersonation of a Bosnian refugee, his segue into porn – are too silly for their own good. But Rahman has pop culture-speak deliciously down pat. When a coked-up, burned-out B actor brags about his latest project (”Think Dirty Dancing meets The Wizard of Oz for a drink, and they have a threesome with The Matrix”), you’ll want to slap Rahman on the shoulder and order another round.
I Dream of Microwaves Rahman is fabulously clever, and these eight absurd, linked stories suggest that he'd make a most amusing drinking buddy. So would his hero, the...I Dream of MicrowavesFictionImad Rahman Rahman is fabulously clever, and these eight absurd, linked stories suggest that he'd make a most amusing drinking buddy. So would his hero, the...2004-04-16
Genre: Fiction; Author: Imad Rahman
Posted April 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!