In John Sayles’ Casa de los Babys (R, 96 mins., 2003, MGM), a group of wannabe moms are stuck in Latin American limbo, waiting for adoption papers and babies to take home. But off the set it was more like Casa de los Babes: Harden, Daryl Hannah, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Lili Taylor, Mary Steenburgen, and Susan Lynch lived together during the two weeks of filming. ”One girl would conduct yoga in the afternoon, we’d swim together, we’d play Scrabble or Celebrity,” Harden tells EW. In Babys, she plays Nan, an insensitive schemer with a combative personality – the opposite of her timid Oscar-nominated Mystic River role. But Harden’s fine with portraying unlikable women: ”I enjoy playing aggressive or opinionated,” she says. ”It adds fullness to the character.” Speaking of fullness, Harden’s now eight months pregnant with twins, and says the experience is ”incredibly joyful. I’d wanted to be pregnant for a long time – even when I was filming this movie.”
Posted April 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Looking back on Carole King's 'Tapestry' 45 years later
- Civilians to pose as prisoners for new A&E docuseries '60 Days In'
- Cassie Clare sued for copyright infringement over Shadowhunter series
- 'The Flash' ratings jump to 14-month high for Earth-2 reveal
- 'OUAT' bosses reunite with Elizabeth Mitchell, Lail for 'Dead of Summer'
- How 'Vinyl' star Bobby Cannavale tormented the director of 'Ant-Man'
- Frank Grillo fights to protect a senator in 'The Purge: Election Year' trailer
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday