Though the furor over MTV’s Super Bowl fiasco has everyone in primetime TV putting their clothes back on, we predict that the pop provocateurs at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards will be wearing less than ever. That’s because, for the first time, the gala will be staged in the late summer heat and humidity of Miami. The channel announced on Friday that, for the first time in the show’s 21 years, it will be held outside of New York or Los Angeles. ”The VMAs are always the biggest, craziest party of the year, and Miami is a beautiful backdrop for this summer’s show,” MTV president Van Toffler said in a statement. The show will be held at the American Airlines Arena on Aug. 29. The ceremony is typically held at that time of year at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, but the show’s executive producer, Salli Frattini, told the Associated Press that logistics would have been difficult this year because the Republican National Convention is being held in Manhattan from Aug. 30 to Sept. 2. Guess the Big Apple isn’t big enough for both Dubya and Diddy.
(Missy Elliott: AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Posted April 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!