Though the furor over MTV’s Super Bowl fiasco has everyone in primetime TV putting their clothes back on, we predict that the pop provocateurs at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards will be wearing less than ever. That’s because, for the first time, the gala will be staged in the late summer heat and humidity of Miami. The channel announced on Friday that, for the first time in the show’s 21 years, it will be held outside of New York or Los Angeles. ”The VMAs are always the biggest, craziest party of the year, and Miami is a beautiful backdrop for this summer’s show,” MTV president Van Toffler said in a statement. The show will be held at the American Airlines Arena on Aug. 29. The ceremony is typically held at that time of year at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, but the show’s executive producer, Salli Frattini, told the Associated Press that logistics would have been difficult this year because the Republican National Convention is being held in Manhattan from Aug. 30 to Sept. 2. Guess the Big Apple isn’t big enough for both Dubya and Diddy.
(Missy Elliott: AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- There's even more mayhem—and a plot—in the new 'Mad Max' trailer
- Watch Uzo Aduba play Sweeney Todd in Miscast performance
- 'Batman: Arkham Knight'-branded PlayStation 4 announced
- Ciara unveils timeless 'Jackie' album artwork, announces spring tour
- Watch the stars of 'Weird Loners' pitch the series to Kanye West
- You might not make it to the desert, but you can still experience Coachella
- Netflix, Marvel name Cheo Hodari Coker as 'Luke Cage' showrunner
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!