Though the furor over MTV’s Super Bowl fiasco has everyone in primetime TV putting their clothes back on, we predict that the pop provocateurs at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards will be wearing less than ever. That’s because, for the first time, the gala will be staged in the late summer heat and humidity of Miami. The channel announced on Friday that, for the first time in the show’s 21 years, it will be held outside of New York or Los Angeles. ”The VMAs are always the biggest, craziest party of the year, and Miami is a beautiful backdrop for this summer’s show,” MTV president Van Toffler said in a statement. The show will be held at the American Airlines Arena on Aug. 29. The ceremony is typically held at that time of year at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, but the show’s executive producer, Salli Frattini, told the Associated Press that logistics would have been difficult this year because the Republican National Convention is being held in Manhattan from Aug. 30 to Sept. 2. Guess the Big Apple isn’t big enough for both Dubya and Diddy.
(Missy Elliott: AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!