Though the furor over MTV’s Super Bowl fiasco has everyone in primetime TV putting their clothes back on, we predict that the pop provocateurs at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards will be wearing less than ever. That’s because, for the first time, the gala will be staged in the late summer heat and humidity of Miami. The channel announced on Friday that, for the first time in the show’s 21 years, it will be held outside of New York or Los Angeles. ”The VMAs are always the biggest, craziest party of the year, and Miami is a beautiful backdrop for this summer’s show,” MTV president Van Toffler said in a statement. The show will be held at the American Airlines Arena on Aug. 29. The ceremony is typically held at that time of year at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, but the show’s executive producer, Salli Frattini, told the Associated Press that logistics would have been difficult this year because the Republican National Convention is being held in Manhattan from Aug. 30 to Sept. 2. Guess the Big Apple isn’t big enough for both Dubya and Diddy.
(Missy Elliott: AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Posted April 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Johnny Depp could face jail time for illegally bringing dogs to Australia
- Jake Owen shifts gears on infectious new single, talks 'funkier' new album
- Jon Stewart helps Iraq War veterans find jobs in TV
- Queen Latifah channels LL Cool J for her 'Lip Sync Battle' performance
- Katharine McPhee drops catchy comeback single 'Lick My Lips'
- Kanye's anniversary tweet to Kim was super romantic
- Rumer Willis looks exactly like Demi Moore in new Instagram pic
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!