Though the furor over MTV’s Super Bowl fiasco has everyone in primetime TV putting their clothes back on, we predict that the pop provocateurs at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards will be wearing less than ever. That’s because, for the first time, the gala will be staged in the late summer heat and humidity of Miami. The channel announced on Friday that, for the first time in the show’s 21 years, it will be held outside of New York or Los Angeles. ”The VMAs are always the biggest, craziest party of the year, and Miami is a beautiful backdrop for this summer’s show,” MTV president Van Toffler said in a statement. The show will be held at the American Airlines Arena on Aug. 29. The ceremony is typically held at that time of year at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, but the show’s executive producer, Salli Frattini, told the Associated Press that logistics would have been difficult this year because the Republican National Convention is being held in Manhattan from Aug. 30 to Sept. 2. Guess the Big Apple isn’t big enough for both Dubya and Diddy.
(Missy Elliott: AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Posted April 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!