The words solipsistic and documentary weren’t popularly lumped together before the landmark March, which laid the groundwork for future monsters of verite like Michael Moore and Nick Broomfield. Neither of those guys can hold a navel-gazing viewfinder to McElwee, who got a grant to make a doc about the Civil War general’s trek through enemy territory, and instead made a dramedy about the swath he carved through the South in search of a girlfriend. Viewers may hope McElwee suffers his own bloody Gettysburg by the time he blurts ”Why aren’t you in love with me?” to an exasperated ex. But the belles he rings up are all bold or eccentric enough that the film becomes less an ego trip than a paean to womanhood, Southern or otherwise – like a Henry Jaglom movie, only good. EXTRAS A recent TV interview updates us on the now-married McElwee, though it’s the not-so-steely magnolias he met in the mid-’80s that we really want where-are-they-now glimpses of.
Sherman's March The words solipsistic and documentary weren't popularly lumped together before the landmark March, which laid the groundwork for future monsters of...Sherman's MarchDocumentaryUnrated The words solipsistic and documentary weren't popularly lumped together before the landmark March, which laid the groundwork for future monsters of...2004-04-16
Genre: Documentary; Director: Ross McElwee; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Steve Taylor & The Perfect Foil take us to the roller disco with their 'Moonshot' video -- exclusive
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Which character has the worst luck?
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Q&A: J.K. Rowling bibliographer Philip W. Errington tells us even more Harry Potter secrets
- The Winklevii will have a cameo on 'Silicon Valley'
- Masi Oka's Hiro Nakamura will return for 'Heroes Reborn'
- Drea de Matteo loses apartment in fire
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!