The words solipsistic and documentary weren’t popularly lumped together before the landmark March, which laid the groundwork for future monsters of verite like Michael Moore and Nick Broomfield. Neither of those guys can hold a navel-gazing viewfinder to McElwee, who got a grant to make a doc about the Civil War general’s trek through enemy territory, and instead made a dramedy about the swath he carved through the South in search of a girlfriend. Viewers may hope McElwee suffers his own bloody Gettysburg by the time he blurts ”Why aren’t you in love with me?” to an exasperated ex. But the belles he rings up are all bold or eccentric enough that the film becomes less an ego trip than a paean to womanhood, Southern or otherwise – like a Henry Jaglom movie, only good. EXTRAS A recent TV interview updates us on the now-married McElwee, though it’s the not-so-steely magnolias he met in the mid-’80s that we really want where-are-they-now glimpses of.
Sherman's March The words solipsistic and documentary weren't popularly lumped together before the landmark March, which laid the groundwork for future monsters of...Sherman's MarchDocumentaryUnrated The words solipsistic and documentary weren't popularly lumped together before the landmark March, which laid the groundwork for future monsters of...2004-04-16
Genre: Documentary; Director: Ross McElwee; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday