How much of a vengeful and selfish SOB can an artist be and still keep a wife and girlfriend in love with him? And to what ruthless ends will he go to keep the creative mojo flowing? Those are the minimally interesting intertwined themes of Morlang, a portentous and goopy Dutch drama directed by Tjebbo Penning, in which the holy agony of creative expression is accompanied by plinky music, and the wild Irish countryside is always kissed in mist. Paul Freeman, silvery villain of ”Raiders of the Lost Ark,” plays cold-blooded painter Julius Morlang, whose reaction to his (briefly cheating) wife’s diagnosis of terminal illness is, What does this mean to me me me? Penning makes heaven hold its breath while Morlang decides.
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Paul Freeman, Diana Kent, Susan Lynch, Joe Gallagher, Eric van der Donk; Director: Tjebbo Penning; Author: Petra Goedings; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Film Movement
Posted April 21 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!