Cedric the Entertainer toured as one of the ”Original Kings of Comedy,” although ”original” might not be the ideal word to decribe some of his recent movie roles. The comic actor, who plays a Chevy Chase-like patriarch in the current hit ”Johnson Family Vacation,” and who will play the Jackie Gleason role in the upcoming movie version of ”The Honeymooners,” is also about to take on a role made famous by Rodney Dangerfield. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Cedric will star in the remake of ”Back to School,” the 1986 hit that Dangerfield cowrote and starred in, playing an undereducated tycoon who enrolls in college alongside his dejected son in order to give him moral support. The film would be part of Cedric’s production deal with MGM, the studio behind the ”Barbershop” movies that featured scene-stealing performances by Cedric. He’s currently shooting ”Be Cool,” the ”Get Shorty” sequel that stars John Travolta and Uma Thurman, also for MGM. Next thing you know, the Lion will announce that Cedric is replacing Pierce Brosnan as James Bond.
Posted April 23 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday