Cedric the Entertainer toured as one of the ”Original Kings of Comedy,” although ”original” might not be the ideal word to decribe some of his recent movie roles. The comic actor, who plays a Chevy Chase-like patriarch in the current hit ”Johnson Family Vacation,” and who will play the Jackie Gleason role in the upcoming movie version of ”The Honeymooners,” is also about to take on a role made famous by Rodney Dangerfield. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Cedric will star in the remake of ”Back to School,” the 1986 hit that Dangerfield cowrote and starred in, playing an undereducated tycoon who enrolls in college alongside his dejected son in order to give him moral support. The film would be part of Cedric’s production deal with MGM, the studio behind the ”Barbershop” movies that featured scene-stealing performances by Cedric. He’s currently shooting ”Be Cool,” the ”Get Shorty” sequel that stars John Travolta and Uma Thurman, also for MGM. Next thing you know, the Lion will announce that Cedric is replacing Pierce Brosnan as James Bond.
Posted April 23 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Proof Kanye West & Donald Trump have a lot in common
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!