Very few writers could elevate a bad case of eczema into a hilarious near – horror story, but Scottish author Gray does just that with ”Job’s Skin Game” – one of several weird and wonderful tales in the author-illustrator’s 18th book. In these short short stories – most don’t go over ten pages – Gray trots out a cast of surly teens, wistful widows, washed-up poets, and what seems to be his caustic alter ego. Gray has a particular gift for wry character sketches: In ”Aiblins,” he describes ”a thin student whose manner suggested he found life a desperate but comical game he was bound to lose.” Gray charms us into enjoying the spectacle of his oddballs staggering, muttering, and fretting about their weary lives in Glasgow.
The Ends of Our Tethers Very few writers could elevate a bad case of eczema into a hilarious near -- horror story, but Scottish author Gray does just that with ''Job's Skin...The Ends of Our TethersFictionAlasdair Gray Very few writers could elevate a bad case of eczema into a hilarious near -- horror story, but Scottish author Gray does just that with ''Job's Skin...2004-04-23
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alasdair Gray
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow': Where does the show go from here?
- Black Widow as Marvel conundrum: Give and take from the Geekly mailbag
- Sofia Vergara speaks about her embryo lawsuit with ex Nick Loeb
- 'New Girl': Are Nick and Jess still hooking up?
- 'You're the Worst' casts former 'Office' actor for season 2
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!