Carrie Snodgress, 57, who was Oscar-nominated for her portrayal of a frustrated adulterer in 1970’s Diary of a Mad Housewife, died of heart failure April 1 in L.A. In 1971, the actress walked away from her career to raise her son, Zeke, with then boyfriend Neil Young. She returned to films with a chilling performance in 1978’s The Fury and most recently appeared as suffragist Alice Paul’s mother in HBO’s Iron Jawed Angels.
Posted April 23 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video