Model, actress, TV sitcom muse – now Brooke Shields can add nonfiction author to her résumé. The Princeton-educated star signed a publishing deal to write ”Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Post Partum Depression.” The book will trace the 38-year-old’s own experience with postpartum depression after she gave birth last May to daughter Rowan Francis. (Dad is TV writer Chris Henchy, whose marriage to Shields is the inspiration for his sitcom ”I’m With Her.”) ”By sharing my experience, I hope to shed light on a real, yet often hidden or ignored problem that affects women of all walks of life in varying degrees,” Shields said in a statement. ”I also hope that by being honest about the fear, shock, and shame I felt, it will help others avoid the pitfall of postpartum depression and open up a community of support.” Publishing the tome in spring 2005 will be Hyperion Books, whose corporate parent, Disney, also owns ABC, where Henchy’s ”I’m With Her” airs. Do we smell a Very Special Episode in the works?
(Brooke Shields: Tammie Arroyo/AP)
Posted April 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Brad, Lea & Darren, Paul and More!