Imagine pitching an idea to a major studio based on a vague dream about the desert and identity theft – and they go for it. That’s pretty much how Robert Altman came to make this oddball drama, which says a lot about filmmaking in the gutsy (or crazy), auteur-driven ’70s. A serenely terrific Duvall plays a delusional loner, and Spacek is the mysterious waif who latches onto her. Janice Rule, as a pregnant artist with a lout for a husband, floats on the periphery until the end when…well, it’s not entirely clear what happens. EXTRAS And don’t expect Altman to explain all. His captivatingly articulate commentary expounds upon script assemblage, the art of acting and cinematography, and his disciplined use of accident and improvisation. (Plus fun stuff like the time Spacek barfed after guzzling a big mug of beer for a scene.) As for the deeper meanings of his hypnotic but ultimately unsatisfying phantom of a movie, he leaves that up to us to decipher.
3 Women Imagine pitching an idea to a major studio based on a vague dream about the desert and identity theft -- and they go for it. That's pretty much how...3 WomenPG Imagine pitching an idea to a major studio based on a vague dream about the desert and identity theft -- and they go for it. That's pretty much how...2004-04-30
Starring: Shelley Duvall, Sissy Spacek; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- USA's 'Mr. Robot' to premiere online May 27 via EW, iTunes, Amazon, among others
- Director Amy Berg talks about the need for more female directors
- 'SNL' host poll: How'd Scarlett Johansson do?
- James Taylor debuts Boston Red Sox song
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Let's talk latest shocking 'Game of Thrones' twist
- Kim Kardashian’s book of selfies is in good company
- Lauryn Hill apologizes to Nigerian fans with awesome acoustic performance
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!