Grief and sex may seem uncomfortable bedfellows, but anyone who’s endured a loved one’s death and found a new soul mate in close proximity will recognize the profoundly mixed feelings in Krall’s alternately poignant and playful Room. Steeped in the loss of Krall’s mother and her mentors Rosemary Clooney and Ray Brown and in her betrothal to Elvis Costello, the disc could be subtitled Three Funerals and a Wedding. Or Guess I Don’t Get Around Much to Standards Anymore, with Krall trading in Cole Porter for Tom Waits when not testing the writing waters herself via a half-dozen confessional collaborations with Costello. Initially, it’s not clear that the soulful, Basie-style carnality of ”Love Me Like a Man” and Joni-esque condolences of ”Departure Bay” belong on the same album. But with an assist from the controlled chaos of Krall’s piano runs, those conflicting emotions finally coalesce in beautiful, fearful symmetry.
The Girl In the Other Room Grief and sex may seem uncomfortable bedfellows, but anyone who's endured a loved one's death and found a new soul mate in close proximity will...The Girl In the Other Room Grief and sex may seem uncomfortable bedfellows, but anyone who's endured a loved one's death and found a new soul mate in close proximity will...2004-04-30
Lead Performer: Diana Krall; Producer (group): Verve
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996