Grief and sex may seem uncomfortable bedfellows, but anyone who’s endured a loved one’s death and found a new soul mate in close proximity will recognize the profoundly mixed feelings in Krall’s alternately poignant and playful Room. Steeped in the loss of Krall’s mother and her mentors Rosemary Clooney and Ray Brown and in her betrothal to Elvis Costello, the disc could be subtitled Three Funerals and a Wedding. Or Guess I Don’t Get Around Much to Standards Anymore, with Krall trading in Cole Porter for Tom Waits when not testing the writing waters herself via a half-dozen confessional collaborations with Costello. Initially, it’s not clear that the soulful, Basie-style carnality of ”Love Me Like a Man” and Joni-esque condolences of ”Departure Bay” belong on the same album. But with an assist from the controlled chaos of Krall’s piano runs, those conflicting emotions finally coalesce in beautiful, fearful symmetry.
The Girl In the Other Room Grief and sex may seem uncomfortable bedfellows, but anyone who's endured a loved one's death and found a new soul mate in close proximity will...The Girl In the Other Room Grief and sex may seem uncomfortable bedfellows, but anyone who's endured a loved one's death and found a new soul mate in close proximity will...2004-04-30
Lead Performer: Diana Krall; Producer (group): Verve
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo': Top 10 Kindle highlights
- 'American Gods': First look at Kristin Chenoweth as Easter
- Stars rally behind Leslie Jones after website hack
- Bob Odenkirk to write book on life, 'Better Call Saul,' 'Breaking Bad'
- Bella Thorne to produce Lifetime vampire flick
- Hailee Steinfeld talks bad haircuts, coming of age in 'Edge of Seventeen'
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...