Grief and sex may seem uncomfortable bedfellows, but anyone who’s endured a loved one’s death and found a new soul mate in close proximity will recognize the profoundly mixed feelings in Krall’s alternately poignant and playful Room. Steeped in the loss of Krall’s mother and her mentors Rosemary Clooney and Ray Brown and in her betrothal to Elvis Costello, the disc could be subtitled Three Funerals and a Wedding. Or Guess I Don’t Get Around Much to Standards Anymore, with Krall trading in Cole Porter for Tom Waits when not testing the writing waters herself via a half-dozen confessional collaborations with Costello. Initially, it’s not clear that the soulful, Basie-style carnality of ”Love Me Like a Man” and Joni-esque condolences of ”Departure Bay” belong on the same album. But with an assist from the controlled chaos of Krall’s piano runs, those conflicting emotions finally coalesce in beautiful, fearful symmetry.
The Girl In the Other Room Grief and sex may seem uncomfortable bedfellows, but anyone who's endured a loved one's death and found a new soul mate in close proximity will...The Girl In the Other Room Grief and sex may seem uncomfortable bedfellows, but anyone who's endured a loved one's death and found a new soul mate in close proximity will...2004-04-30
Lead Performer: Diana Krall; Producer (group): Verve
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Game of Thrones' star Maisie Williams speaks: The ultimate Arya interview
- Herman Wouk to release memoir in honor of 100th birthday
- Billy Eichner and Martin Short yell at strangers—for a good cause
- 'Wet Hot American Summer': A first look at the Netflix revival with Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler and Elizabeth Banks
- Watch Weird Al portray Jesus Christ in a silent film
- Lionsgate developing 'Now You See Me 3'
- Danny Trejo joins 'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series': First Look
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!