Actor John C. Reilly walked off the Trollhattan, Sweden, set of Lars von Trier’s Dogville follow-up, Manderlay, in late March when he learned that an upcoming scene involved the slaughter of a donkey for food. The film’s producer says the animal – who was old and not expected to live much longer was killed off camera by a certified veterinarian, in accordance with Swedish law. Reilly, who was unavailable for comment, was replaced by Zeljko Ivanek (Unfaithful).
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vampire Diaries': David Anders reveals his favorite Uncle John twist
- 'Sherlock': Martin Freeman on how Baby Watson will change the show
- WATCH our primer on the Critics' Choice Awards Best Picture nominees
- Read an excerpt and see the trailer for 'All Our Wrong Todays'
- Liam Payne, Zayn Malik support Louis Tomlinson after momther's death
- 'Fast & Furious 8' gets official title ahead of trailer debut
- Greta Gerwig on transformative '20th Century Women' dance parties