”The air rushed out of the room.” It’s a common and all-too-effective cliche of the modern suspense thriller, and Coben has fashioned a story full of them: the mysterious photograph that causes a loving husband and father to leave suddenly in the night; his restless, resilient suburban wife – with the haunting, traumatic past – who tries to find him; the ruthless assassin who can kill with a touch; the nosy neighbor; the Mob boss; and even the generic, meaningless title. Coben proves his nimble, knowing grasp of plot and pace, juggling as many as seven plotlines while still imparting a healthy backstory to cameo characters. You’ll read it in a day, maybe two; it’s fresh fast food in a cup-of-ramen world.
Just One Look ''The air rushed out of the room.'' It's a common and all-too-effective cliche of the modern suspense thriller, and Coben has fashioned a story full...Just One LookFiction, Mystery and ThrillerHarlan Coben ''The air rushed out of the room.'' It's a common and all-too-effective cliche of the modern suspense thriller, and Coben has fashioned a story full...2004-04-30
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Harlan Coben
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- David Letterman slams Indiana governor on 'Late Show'
- How Jamie Dornan prepared to play a serial killer on 'The Fall'
- 'Broadchurch' exclusive clip: The barristers have words
- Watch 'Barely Famous' stars Sara and Erin Foster pitch their series to the Kardashians and more
- Why Paige from 'The Americans' is TV's most progressive Christian
- 'Orphan Black' teaser promises clone-on-clone war
- April Fools' Day 2015: The best pranks around the internet
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!