Two months after NBC scored the rights to The Contender, a Survivor-meets-Rocky boxing show from exec producers Mark Burnett and Sylvester Stallone, bitter Burnett bidder Fox is trying to beat NBC’s ‘05-slated series to the punch. The Next Great Champ, a similar prizefighting project with Oscar de la Hoya, is stepping into the ring for Fox this fall. ”Frankly, I don’t know what The Contender is, and I don’t care to know,” says David Goldberg of Endemol USA, which is producing Champ. (NBC ducked calls for comment.) Go to your corners and come out fighting!
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing Wild West drama series Untamed
- Ann Rule, true-crime author, dies at 83
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Originals' add a bunch of new faces
- 'Lost' actor replaces 'Flash' star as Sandy Cohen in 'O.C.' musical
- Andy Richter responds to 'Conan' lawsuit
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!