We meet Princeton senior Paul Harris the night before his thesis is due, an evening that generally involves nothing more dramatic than spell-check. But Paul’s work sleuthing out hidden messages in the knotty, real-life Renaissance text Hypnerotomachia Poliphili draws his friends and mentors into murderous intrigue – although, chief among the book’s numerous faults, we don’t learn why that should be until just before the climax. We are, however, treated to pedantic lectures on cryptography and 15th-century Florence, snatches of philosophy (”Time is the guy at the amusement park who paints shirts with an airbrush”), and a view of undergraduate life seemingly lifted from a boys’ adventure story. Is it any wonder a novel that views literary interpretation as fancy codework should be strictly by the numbers?
The Rule of Four We meet Princeton senior Paul Harris the night before his thesis is due, an evening that generally involves nothing more dramatic than spell-check....The Rule of FourMystery and Thriller, FictionIan Caldwell, Dustin Thomason We meet Princeton senior Paul Harris the night before his thesis is due, an evening that generally involves nothing more dramatic than spell-check....2004-04-30
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Ian Caldwell, Dustin Thomason
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Caitlyn Jenner explains how her views on marriage equality have evolved
- Ed Burns was super nervous his first day working with Tom Hanks on 'Saving Private Ryan'
- Blue Ivy dedicates Disney favorite to mom Beyoncé on her birthday
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Murder,' 'Scandal' & more
- The music we loved this week
- 'Game of Thrones' casts Samwell Tarly's brother
- Idris Elba prepares child soldiers for war in 'Beasts of No Nation' trailer
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!