A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith’s new album, Trampin’, reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ”Mother Rose” and ”Trespasses” but also sinks into pretentious polemics, as is the singer’s wont. Still, Smith’s stridency is offset by elemental yet beguiling melodies and a gift for poetic imagery that is unrivaled even now, almost 30 years after her first record.
Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...2004-04-30
(Patti Smith: Eamonn McCabe / Camera Press / Retna)
Lead Performer: Patti Smith
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!