A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith’s new album, Trampin’, reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ”Mother Rose” and ”Trespasses” but also sinks into pretentious polemics, as is the singer’s wont. Still, Smith’s stridency is offset by elemental yet beguiling melodies and a gift for poetic imagery that is unrivaled even now, almost 30 years after her first record.
Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...2004-04-30
(Patti Smith: Eamonn McCabe / Camera Press / Retna)
Lead Performer: Patti Smith
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!