A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith’s new album, Trampin’, reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ”Mother Rose” and ”Trespasses” but also sinks into pretentious polemics, as is the singer’s wont. Still, Smith’s stridency is offset by elemental yet beguiling melodies and a gift for poetic imagery that is unrivaled even now, almost 30 years after her first record.
Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...2004-04-30
(Patti Smith: Eamonn McCabe / Camera Press / Retna)
Lead Performer: Patti Smith; Status: In Season
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SNL' preview: What to expect from Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!