A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith’s new album, Trampin’, reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ”Mother Rose” and ”Trespasses” but also sinks into pretentious polemics, as is the singer’s wont. Still, Smith’s stridency is offset by elemental yet beguiling melodies and a gift for poetic imagery that is unrivaled even now, almost 30 years after her first record.
Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...2004-04-30
(Patti Smith: Eamonn McCabe / Camera Press / Retna)
Lead Performer: Patti Smith
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!