A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith’s new album, Trampin’, reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ”Mother Rose” and ”Trespasses” but also sinks into pretentious polemics, as is the singer’s wont. Still, Smith’s stridency is offset by elemental yet beguiling melodies and a gift for poetic imagery that is unrivaled even now, almost 30 years after her first record.
Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...Trampin'A cri de coeur for a world gone wrong, Patti Smith's new album, Trampin', reaches heights of lyrical grace on tracks like ''Mother Rose'' and '...2004-04-30
(Patti Smith: Eamonn McCabe / Camera Press / Retna)
Lead Performer: Patti Smith
Posted April 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Key & Peele's 'Sportscenter' spoof makes teachers the stars
- Tom Cruise pranked Simon Pegg on the set of 'Mission Impossible'
- Venice Film Festival 2015 lineup announced
- Natalie Imbruglia explains 'Male' cover choices
- Tina Fey's Beyonce lip-sync is ***Flawless
- Jon Stewart: New 'Nightly Show' 'Don't Give a S---' correspondent
- Drake disses Meek Mill in new freestyle: 'Is that a world tour or your girl's tour?'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!