Maybe the sad protagonist in the 2003 Sundance lab-bred indie The Mudge Boy could hang out with the owlish, melancholy kid from ”Valentin.” Emile Hirsch (”The Girl Next Door”) gives 14-year-old Duncan Mudge a fine, spongy center of dead-mother longing. But really, what can we make of an oddball farm kid who comforts himself by dressing in his late mama’s clothes and likes to pop the head of his live pet chicken into his mouth – to soothe both himself and the flustered fowl? Duncan’s taciturn father (Richard Jenkins) is understandably unsettled by his strange son; Duncan’s sexually confused friend (Tom Guiry) is angrily aroused by him. It’s not the homosexuality that’s dubious here, it’s the chicken.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Emile Hirsch, Richard Jenkins, Vincent D'Onofrio, Thomas Guiry; Director: Michael Burke; Author: Michael Burke; Release Date Limited: 05/07/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted May 5 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- T-Pain took over EW's Instagram for the VMAs
- 5 Seconds of Summer wins 2015 Song of the Summer VMA for 'She's Kinda Hot'
- The MTV VMAs winners list for 2015
- Billy Ray Cyrus is live-tweeting the VMAs
- Here's how Miley Cyrus arrived on the MTV VMAs red carpet
- Taylor Swift brought her 'Bad Blood' squad to the VMAs red carpet
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!