What a terrible idea: Presidential assassins (successful and unsuccessful, iconic and obscure, from gentleman madman John Wilkes Booth to Nixon-obsessed sociopath Sam Byck) sing their own demented revision of American history, predicated on the arch assertion that ”everybody’s got the right to be happy.” Is this smug shock-art, conceived by coffee shop dissidents? Probably. It also happens to be enthralling. Composer Stephen Sondheim and book writer John Weidman wrote Assassins 14 years ago, and watched it wither Off Broadway in the run-up to Gulf War I. But Joe Mantello’s new production liberates the show from its own hokey pageantry and airs out the genius within: Sondheim’s sprightly dirge-ballads, though stylistically rooted in the time periods they describe, transcend pastiche and, indeed, exhibit more elliptical wisdom and ornery life force than anything he’s written since. The uniformly sensational cast (particularly Denis O’Hare as Charles Guiteau, the pious, peripatetic failure who killed President James Garfield) takes that anarchic-yet-melodic energy and runs with it. Some will undoubtedly chafe at the show’s remorseless manipulations, but those of strong constitution will heartily enjoy watching two pervasive political cliches devour one another: If everybody’s got the right to be happy, then the terrorists have already won. (TM)
Assassins (Stage - 2004) What a terrible idea: Presidential assassins (successful and unsuccessful, iconic and obscure, from gentleman madman John Wilkes Booth to Nixon...Assassins (Stage - 2004) What a terrible idea: Presidential assassins (successful and unsuccessful, iconic and obscure, from gentleman madman John Wilkes Booth to Nixon...2004-05-07Michael CerverisDenis O'Hare
Starring: Mario Cantone, Neil Patrick Harris; Starring: Michael Cerveris, Denis O'Hare; Director: Joe Mantello; Opening Date: 04/22/2004
Posted May 7 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!