What a terrible idea: Presidential assassins (successful and unsuccessful, iconic and obscure, from gentleman madman John Wilkes Booth to Nixon-obsessed sociopath Sam Byck) sing their own demented revision of American history, predicated on the arch assertion that ”everybody’s got the right to be happy.” Is this smug shock-art, conceived by coffee shop dissidents? Probably. It also happens to be enthralling. Composer Stephen Sondheim and book writer John Weidman wrote Assassins 14 years ago, and watched it wither Off Broadway in the run-up to Gulf War I. But Joe Mantello’s new production liberates the show from its own hokey pageantry and airs out the genius within: Sondheim’s sprightly dirge-ballads, though stylistically rooted in the time periods they describe, transcend pastiche and, indeed, exhibit more elliptical wisdom and ornery life force than anything he’s written since. The uniformly sensational cast (particularly Denis O’Hare as Charles Guiteau, the pious, peripatetic failure who killed President James Garfield) takes that anarchic-yet-melodic energy and runs with it. Some will undoubtedly chafe at the show’s remorseless manipulations, but those of strong constitution will heartily enjoy watching two pervasive political cliches devour one another: If everybody’s got the right to be happy, then the terrorists have already won. (TM)
Assassins (Stage - 2004) What a terrible idea: Presidential assassins (successful and unsuccessful, iconic and obscure, from gentleman madman John Wilkes Booth to Nixon...Assassins (Stage - 2004) What a terrible idea: Presidential assassins (successful and unsuccessful, iconic and obscure, from gentleman madman John Wilkes Booth to Nixon...2004-05-07Michael CerverisDenis O'Hare
Starring: Mario Cantone, Neil Patrick Harris; Starring: Michael Cerveris, Denis O'Hare; Director: Joe Mantello; Opening Date: 04/22/2004
Posted May 7 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Caitlyn Jenner on the realities of dating as a transgender woman
- See how 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' created 'The Twins'
- Nick Jonas passionately lip-synced to ‘Let It Go’ at Demi Lovato’s pre-VMAs concert
- Vin Diesel teases a sequel to 'The Iron Giant'
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!