During the most vigorous sequence in A.R. Rahman’s new musical Bombay Dreams, a catchy number called ”Shakalaka Baby,” the extravagantly costumed ensemble dances inside an actual, ceiling-high fountain. At the height of this frenetically entertaining scene, the rising star drops his leading lady on her bum. It’s a defining moment in Dreams – a tug-of-war between embracing the Bollywood archetype (women cavorting in wet saris!) and mocking its corniness. And who better to translate India’s outrageously successful film industry for the West than the equally grandiose Lloyd Webber, who created this over-the-top confection. The dosa-thin plot follows Akaash (the energetic Manu Narayan) a slum-dwelling hottie, who heads to Bollywood to save his ghetto from demolition. He then must make the inevitable choice between family, fame, and fortune – a challenge personified in the object of his affection, idealistic filmmaker Priya (Anisha Nagarajan). The love story is implausible and the characters are caricatures (the fullest role is a eunuch named Sweetie, played by talented newcomer Sriram Ganesan), yet as in the best Bollywood films, there is magic galore – in the explosive song-and-dance numbers, infectious score, dazzling costumes, and sumptuous sets. Dreams may be from another world, but it’s also a good old-fashioned Broadway musical.
Bombay Dreams During the most vigorous sequence in A.R. Rahman's new musical Bombay Dreams, a catchy number called ''Shakalaka Baby,'' the extravagantly costumed...Bombay Dreams During the most vigorous sequence in A.R. Rahman's new musical Bombay Dreams, a catchy number called ''Shakalaka Baby,'' the extravagantly costumed...2004-05-07
Starring: Anisha Nagarajan, Manu Narayan; Director: Steven Pimlott; Producer (person): Andrew Lloyd Webber; Opening Date: 04/29/2004
Posted May 7 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Paul McCartney meets women who inspired ‘Blackbird’ at Arkansas concert
- Patton Oswalt shares touching words from daughter after wife’s death
- Aretha Franklin performs 'Purple Rain' on International Jazz Day
- 'Penny Dreadful' season 3 sneak peek teases 'a terrible end'
- 'Captain America: Civil War' opens to $200 million internationally
- WATCH: Taylor John Smith on his 'Cruel Intentions' reboot audition
- Mads Mikkelsen says he wants to return for more 'Hannibal'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch