During the most vigorous sequence in A.R. Rahman’s new musical Bombay Dreams, a catchy number called ”Shakalaka Baby,” the extravagantly costumed ensemble dances inside an actual, ceiling-high fountain. At the height of this frenetically entertaining scene, the rising star drops his leading lady on her bum. It’s a defining moment in Dreams – a tug-of-war between embracing the Bollywood archetype (women cavorting in wet saris!) and mocking its corniness. And who better to translate India’s outrageously successful film industry for the West than the equally grandiose Lloyd Webber, who created this over-the-top confection. The dosa-thin plot follows Akaash (the energetic Manu Narayan) a slum-dwelling hottie, who heads to Bollywood to save his ghetto from demolition. He then must make the inevitable choice between family, fame, and fortune – a challenge personified in the object of his affection, idealistic filmmaker Priya (Anisha Nagarajan). The love story is implausible and the characters are caricatures (the fullest role is a eunuch named Sweetie, played by talented newcomer Sriram Ganesan), yet as in the best Bollywood films, there is magic galore – in the explosive song-and-dance numbers, infectious score, dazzling costumes, and sumptuous sets. Dreams may be from another world, but it’s also a good old-fashioned Broadway musical.
Bombay Dreams During the most vigorous sequence in A.R. Rahman's new musical Bombay Dreams, a catchy number called ''Shakalaka Baby,'' the extravagantly costumed...Bombay Dreams During the most vigorous sequence in A.R. Rahman's new musical Bombay Dreams, a catchy number called ''Shakalaka Baby,'' the extravagantly costumed...2004-05-07
Starring: Anisha Nagarajan, Manu Narayan; Director: Steven Pimlott; Producer (person): Andrew Lloyd Webber; Opening Date: 04/29/2004; Status: In Season
Posted May 7 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'House of Cards' premiere react: Blood on the Tracks
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!