Studios typically release their horror titles around Halloween, so Universal gets chutzpah points for unleashing three essential bundles of vintage creature features just in time for Mother’s Day. Apparently there’s some Hugh Jackman-movie tie-in, too, but why look a gift horse in the fangs? The elaborate two-disc sets – Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man (unrated, 399/384/281 mins., 1931-46) – all carry over the terrific commentaries found on the films’ initial 1999 DVD releases, with eggheads waxing eloquent about flat heads. Each package now also contains a delirious slew of sequels, like Dracula’s Daughter, Son of Dracula, Son of Frankenstein…all those uneven filmic spawn that made men of a thousand faces like Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Lon Chaney Jr. seem like men of a thousand monstrous paternity suits. Bride of Frankenstein is, of course, Universal’s horror crown jewel. But if you’re just curious how undressed the undead could get in the ’30s, check out the Spanish-language Dracula, shot concurrently with Lugosi’s and featuring the same sets, better direction, a stiffer lead actor, and skimpier lingerie, or Daughter, which offered predatory lesbian chic seven decades before Showtime. No wonder young Chaney had hair on his palms, and everywhere else.
Posted May 7 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- ESPN pulls golf tourney off Trump course
- Jerry Weintraub, veteran Hollywood producer, dies at 77
- Bill Cosby said in '05 deposition he acquired drugs to give women for sex
- Exclusive 'Royal Pains' clip: Hank is suspicious of Evan and Boris
- LeBron James will premiere Amy Schumer's Trainwreck in Akron
- Women's World Cup final: 25.4M viewers
- Dynamite and Atari team up for new comic ventures
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!