With Hollywood knocking (this summer’s ”Soul Plane” and a Fox sitcom), perhaps Method Man’s focus is elsewhere. Meth’s rugged rhymes still flow with effortless finesse on Tical 0: The Prequel, but for the first time, he loses his identity. On ”Act Right,” he scolds other MCs for what amounts to his own primary blunder: ”If you’re a rapper, don’t ever ride the passenger seat.” Relying too heavily on guests (from Ludacris to Snoop Dogg), these tracks pathetically simulate the signature sound of each featured rapper. That laziness, combined with his adolescent musings on ho’s and drugs, reveals an artist who seems to be phoning this one in from his latest movie set.
(Method Man: Monique Bunn/Retna)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Method Man; Guest Performer: Snoop Dogg, Ludacris; Producer (group): Def Jam
Posted May 10 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!