Ever since Andy Kaufman died of lung cancer in 1984, rumor had it that the comic and hoax artist might have faked his own death. The cagey comedian reportedly contributed to the rumor by suggesting that, if he did falsify his demise, he’d resurface 20 years later to the day. So his friends are planning a tribute party on that day, May 16, on the off chance that he might show up, the Associated Press reports. Bob Zmuda, the ”Taxi” star’s best friend and comedy partner, announced that he’d try to get word of the party to Kaufman, wherever he may be. ”Over 100 personal ads will be taken out across the country and abroad, reminding him of his words,” Zmuda said. ”Will he show?” Tickets to the ”Andy Kaufman – Dead or Alive” bash, to be held at the House of Blues in Los Angeles, promise a ”celebrity reception (hopefully with Andy).” One celebrity who is scheduled to perform, according to Zmuda, is venomous Vegas lounge singer Tony Clifton – who was, of course, one of Kaufman’s alter egos. We’re not sure which would be scarier: if Clifton does turn out to be a long-reclusive Kaufman, or if he turns out to be real.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Mariah Carey makes Frito pie in Funny or Die video, and it looks terrible
- The new Hamburglar is hot, and that's kind of a problem
- Sony yanks Adele, Kelly Clarkson, Hozier, more from SoundCloud -- report
- ABC Family casts Katherine McNamara as 'Shadowhunters' lead
- Supergirl officially gets CBS series order
- 'Ant-Man' to play at Montreal's Fantasia Festival
- Gwar is releasing an official book about Gwar
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!