Ever since Andy Kaufman died of lung cancer in 1984, rumor had it that the comic and hoax artist might have faked his own death. The cagey comedian reportedly contributed to the rumor by suggesting that, if he did falsify his demise, he’d resurface 20 years later to the day. So his friends are planning a tribute party on that day, May 16, on the off chance that he might show up, the Associated Press reports. Bob Zmuda, the ”Taxi” star’s best friend and comedy partner, announced that he’d try to get word of the party to Kaufman, wherever he may be. ”Over 100 personal ads will be taken out across the country and abroad, reminding him of his words,” Zmuda said. ”Will he show?” Tickets to the ”Andy Kaufman – Dead or Alive” bash, to be held at the House of Blues in Los Angeles, promise a ”celebrity reception (hopefully with Andy).” One celebrity who is scheduled to perform, according to Zmuda, is venomous Vegas lounge singer Tony Clifton – who was, of course, one of Kaufman’s alter egos. We’re not sure which would be scarier: if Clifton does turn out to be a long-reclusive Kaufman, or if he turns out to be real.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!