Ever since Andy Kaufman died of lung cancer in 1984, rumor had it that the comic and hoax artist might have faked his own death. The cagey comedian reportedly contributed to the rumor by suggesting that, if he did falsify his demise, he’d resurface 20 years later to the day. So his friends are planning a tribute party on that day, May 16, on the off chance that he might show up, the Associated Press reports. Bob Zmuda, the ”Taxi” star’s best friend and comedy partner, announced that he’d try to get word of the party to Kaufman, wherever he may be. ”Over 100 personal ads will be taken out across the country and abroad, reminding him of his words,” Zmuda said. ”Will he show?” Tickets to the ”Andy Kaufman – Dead or Alive” bash, to be held at the House of Blues in Los Angeles, promise a ”celebrity reception (hopefully with Andy).” One celebrity who is scheduled to perform, according to Zmuda, is venomous Vegas lounge singer Tony Clifton – who was, of course, one of Kaufman’s alter egos. We’re not sure which would be scarier: if Clifton does turn out to be a long-reclusive Kaufman, or if he turns out to be real.
Posted May 11 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!