Superstar in a Housedress is a documentary that celebrates the Andy Warhol fame queen Jackie Curtis with a reverence that used to be reserved for people like Elvis and Gandhi. Six foot two, with the body of a linebacker, Curtis was the first celebrity drag artist to make no real attempt to ”pass.” In addition to his scraggly wig, he would wear a Halston dress that he insisted on ripping to semi-shreds and troweled-on makeup that gave him the look of an angry raccoon. His corrosive trash-talk hostility was original, all right, but a little of it went a long way. In ”Superstar in a Housedress,” Curtis remains frozen in his flamboyance. The most resonant parts of the movie are, oddly, the interviews with his fellow glam bohemians (Penny Arcade, Holly Woodlawn), who now look almost touchingly conventional in their memento-stuffed apartments.
Superstar in a HousedressSuperstar in a Housedress is a documentary that celebrates the Andy Warhol fame queen Jackie Curtis with a reverence that used to be reserved for...Superstar in a HousedressDocumentaryPT95MUnratedSuperstar in a Housedress is a documentary that celebrates the Andy Warhol fame queen Jackie Curtis with a reverence that used to be reserved for...2004-05-12Abramorama
Genre: Documentary; Director: Craig Highberger; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Abramorama
Posted May 12 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Exclusive: Cooper and Josh duke it out ahead of ‘Young & Hungry' spring finale
- Margaret Atwood submits story to Future Library, and no one will read it until 2114
- Ashley Greene is dying for some loving in exclusive scene from 'Burying the Ex'
- Kellan Lutz on what to expect from Fox's new stunt show, 'Bullseye'
- Julian Casablancas and The Voidz release 'Human Sadness' video
- Robert Rodriguez + 'Jonny Quest': Report
- 'A Walk In The Woods' trailer: Watch Robert Redford, Nick Nolte hike the Appalachian Trail
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!