Pretend, for a moment, that while driving to your own suicide, you got in an accident that left you decapitated and, uh, dead. But during your funeral, you came back to life, albeit with no working organs and a crudely re-attached head. Wouldn’t that suck? Apparently not! Everett’s often laugh-out-loud, high-concept novel squeezes its undead hero, Ted Street, for every Big Theme he’s worth. Is living defined medically, legally, or spiritually? Can we truly discern the natural from the supernatural? And aren’t we all walking, talking corpses? ”Desert” pulses with rich, thoughtful life when Everett works his premises within Ted’s family, less so when he puts Ted through plot paces steeped in religious satire by turns inspired and tired. A military program trying to clone Jesus? Wild. Yet another sexually abusive Christian cult leader? Talk about flogging a dead corpse.
American Desert Pretend, for a moment, that while driving to your own suicide, you got in an accident that left you decapitated and, uh, dead. But during your funeral...American DesertFictionPercival Everett Pretend, for a moment, that while driving to your own suicide, you got in an accident that left you decapitated and, uh, dead. But during your funeral...2004-05-14
Genre: Fiction; Author: Percival Everett
Posted May 14 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!