Pretend, for a moment, that while driving to your own suicide, you got in an accident that left you decapitated and, uh, dead. But during your funeral, you came back to life, albeit with no working organs and a crudely re-attached head. Wouldn’t that suck? Apparently not! Everett’s often laugh-out-loud, high-concept novel squeezes its undead hero, Ted Street, for every Big Theme he’s worth. Is living defined medically, legally, or spiritually? Can we truly discern the natural from the supernatural? And aren’t we all walking, talking corpses? ”Desert” pulses with rich, thoughtful life when Everett works his premises within Ted’s family, less so when he puts Ted through plot paces steeped in religious satire by turns inspired and tired. A military program trying to clone Jesus? Wild. Yet another sexually abusive Christian cult leader? Talk about flogging a dead corpse.
American Desert Pretend, for a moment, that while driving to your own suicide, you got in an accident that left you decapitated and, uh, dead. But during your funeral...American DesertFictionPercival Everett Pretend, for a moment, that while driving to your own suicide, you got in an accident that left you decapitated and, uh, dead. But during your funeral...2004-05-14
Genre: Fiction; Author: Percival Everett
Posted May 14 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dylan's Candy Bar is celebrating 'Mean Girls' with themed candy
- 11 outrageous moments from Miley Cyrus' surprise album
- 'Faking It' season 2B supertease: Karma and Amy pretend to be a couple again — exclusive
- Why Bill Murray agreed to appear in the next 'Ghostbusters'
- Keith Richards talks solo album, documentary, and trying to get the Stones back in the studio
- 'Saturday Night Live' adds Jon Rudnitsky as cast member
- Rooney Mara helps Rio kids in new 'Trash' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!