Pretend, for a moment, that while driving to your own suicide, you got in an accident that left you decapitated and, uh, dead. But during your funeral, you came back to life, albeit with no working organs and a crudely re-attached head. Wouldn’t that suck? Apparently not! Everett’s often laugh-out-loud, high-concept novel squeezes its undead hero, Ted Street, for every Big Theme he’s worth. Is living defined medically, legally, or spiritually? Can we truly discern the natural from the supernatural? And aren’t we all walking, talking corpses? ”Desert” pulses with rich, thoughtful life when Everett works his premises within Ted’s family, less so when he puts Ted through plot paces steeped in religious satire by turns inspired and tired. A military program trying to clone Jesus? Wild. Yet another sexually abusive Christian cult leader? Talk about flogging a dead corpse.
American Desert Pretend, for a moment, that while driving to your own suicide, you got in an accident that left you decapitated and, uh, dead. But during your funeral...American DesertFictionPercival Everett Pretend, for a moment, that while driving to your own suicide, you got in an accident that left you decapitated and, uh, dead. But during your funeral...2004-05-14
Genre: Fiction; Author: Percival Everett
Posted May 14 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dennis Rodman guest stars in Skrillex, Yogi and Pusha T's creepy music video
- Someone turns Kanye West best quotes into a free book
- Jessica Chastain and Bryce Dallas Howard hung out together
- 'Ghostbusters' adds Andy Garcia and Michael K. Williams to the cast
- Zack Snyder on the Superman villain that almost was
- How a real-life horror story inspired new graphic novel 'The Divine'
- First look at Batgirl in 'Batman: Arkham Knight's' 'A Matter of Family'
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!