Investigator Lucas Davenport discovers that the Cold War never ended for a gang of Soviet-era spies living in rural Minnesota. They’ve remained hidden for years, until the murder of a Russian seaman at a Duluth freight terminal. Despite the unlikely premise, Hidden Prey is one of the strongest in Sandford’s ”Prey” series. The threat of a Red menace that hides in plain sight is eerily suspenseful. Sandford introduces some intriguing supporting characters, including alluring Russian agent Nadya Kalin and communist-in-training killer Carl Walther, a fresh-faced teen who arranges murder around choir practice. ”I can’t do it tomorrow night,” Carl tells his leftist grandfather, a creepy 92-year-old puppet master who’s alternately cold-blooded and compassionate. ”We’re singing.” Sandford makes a good case for Communist revival, at least in hard-boiled thrillers.
Hidden Prey Investigator Lucas Davenport discovers that the Cold War never ended for a gang of Soviet-era spies living in rural Minnesota. They've remained hidden...Hidden PreyMystery and Thriller, FictionJohn Sandford Investigator Lucas Davenport discovers that the Cold War never ended for a gang of Soviet-era spies living in rural Minnesota. They've remained hidden...2004-05-14Putnam
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: John Sandford; Publisher: Putnam
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!