Ever wonder how Superman ties into Nietzsche’s concept of ”der Ubermensch?” Never fear, Seagle’s deep-thinking, semiautobiographical tale does it for you, and then some. ”Steve” is a hipster geek balking at a dream offer to write ”Superman,” unable to separate the character from a tangle of painful thoughts and memories of his family’s struggles with Huntington’s disease, an incapacitating genetic muscle disorder that afflicts several of his relatives. How can he reconcile a hero so perfectly, absurdly invulnerable with a world in which he himself could be so hopelessly the opposite? Steve’s searching deconstructions of the icon serve as the cutaways from his increasingly moody (but often terrifically wry) interactions with his editor, his family, and his girlfriend. Kristiansen’s slender, angular not-quite-caricatures, meanwhile, are well matched to the pervading air of restlessness. At a time when ”Superman” comics tend to oversell minor story departures as major ones, this is something truly different.
It's a Bird Ever wonder how Superman ties into Nietzsche's concept of ''der Ubermensch?'' Never fear, Seagle's deep-thinking, semiautobiographical tale does it...It's a BirdSteven T. Seagle, Teddy Kristiansen Ever wonder how Superman ties into Nietzsche's concept of ''der Ubermensch?'' Never fear, Seagle's deep-thinking, semiautobiographical tale does it...2004-05-14
Author: Steven T. Seagle, Teddy Kristiansen
Posted May 14 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How Todrick Hall hopes to inspire others through his new show, 'Todrick'
- See a snippet of Queen Latifah's 19-year-old 'Bessie' screen test
- Here's how Jaden Smith reacted to Kanye's VMAs speech
- Jeff Probst reveals the players he's surprised got voted into 'Survivor'
- Michael Jordan's 'Space Jam' uniform heading for auction
- Get lost in Hippo Campus' new tune 'The Halocline'
- Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift continued their VMAs love fest on Twitter
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!