It’s wonderful to see a Japanese movie in which a 19th-century samurai is also a touching and complicated ordinary man. When Seibei (Hiroyuki Sanada) unsheathes his sword, the film draws deep excitement out of his desire to live more than fight.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Rie Miyazawa, Hiroyuki Sanada, Nenji Kobayashi, Ren Osugi; Director: Yoji Yamada; Author: Yoji Yamada; Runtime (in minutes): 129; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Empire Pictures
Posted May 14 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner to divorce
- Rob Thomas details new solo album 'The Great Unknown'
- See the first extended look at 'Rory McIlroy PGA Tour'
- Rick Moody to write memoir detailing his second marriage
- Kaitlyn on 'Bachelorette' talk with Shawn
- Nick Zano joins 'Minority Report'
- 'Suite Life' stars Dylan and Cole Sprouse swapped places at their NYU graduation
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!