Mezrich is making a cottage industry out of documenting the misbehavior of Ivy League snots: His encore to 2002’s ”Bringing Down the House” follows real Princetonians who played the Japanese markets for millions in the 1990s. At least, I’m pretty sure they’re real Princetonians. You’ll be damned to figure out what’s true in ”Ugly Americans,” a puzzling piece of ”nonfiction” featuring the most bizarre author’s note in recent memory: ”While this is a true story, many of the names are fictitious…. I have used the real names of historical figures…. Otherwise, no character in the book is meant to refer specifically to a real-life person.” If that nonsensical ass-covering doesn’t make your head explode, then the astonishingly unreliable narrator might. Ultimately, ”Americans” is pretty entertaining, mostly because Mezrich’s audacity matches that of his ”subjects.”
Ugly Americans Mezrich is making a cottage industry out of documenting the misbehavior of Ivy League snots: His encore to 2002's ''Bringing Down the House'' follows...Ugly AmericansNonfictionBen Mezrich Mezrich is making a cottage industry out of documenting the misbehavior of Ivy League snots: His encore to 2002's ''Bringing Down the House'' follows...2004-05-14
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Ben Mezrich
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!