Mezrich is making a cottage industry out of documenting the misbehavior of Ivy League snots: His encore to 2002’s ”Bringing Down the House” follows real Princetonians who played the Japanese markets for millions in the 1990s. At least, I’m pretty sure they’re real Princetonians. You’ll be damned to figure out what’s true in ”Ugly Americans,” a puzzling piece of ”nonfiction” featuring the most bizarre author’s note in recent memory: ”While this is a true story, many of the names are fictitious…. I have used the real names of historical figures…. Otherwise, no character in the book is meant to refer specifically to a real-life person.” If that nonsensical ass-covering doesn’t make your head explode, then the astonishingly unreliable narrator might. Ultimately, ”Americans” is pretty entertaining, mostly because Mezrich’s audacity matches that of his ”subjects.”
Ugly Americans Mezrich is making a cottage industry out of documenting the misbehavior of Ivy League snots: His encore to 2002's ''Bringing Down the House'' follows...Ugly AmericansNonfictionBen Mezrich Mezrich is making a cottage industry out of documenting the misbehavior of Ivy League snots: His encore to 2002's ''Bringing Down the House'' follows...2004-05-14
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Ben Mezrich
Posted May 14 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!