In People Say I’m Crazy, a fascinating and moving personal documentary, we meet a young artist named John Cadigan, who suffered a psychotic break in his early 20s and has been coping with its symptoms ever since. Plump and bearded, Cadigan looks like a melancholy Kevin Smith. As he goes about his days in a Bay Area boardinghouse, he gives us a running commentary on what’s sliding around in his mind – the paranoia and depression, the gruesome delusions that he is always working to keep at bay. Cadigan, who codirected the film, never regards his schizophrenia as less than a spiritual aspect of his being, so his struggle to transcend it is far from clinical. A gifted printmaker who carves intricate patterns out of wood, often with a shadow demon running through them, he notes that the thrusting labor required of his art amounts to a daily sublimation of violence. ”People Say I’m Crazy” doesn’t defuse, or romanticize, the trauma of mental illness. It just humanizes it.
People Say I'm CrazyIn People Say I'm Crazy, a fascinating and moving personal documentary, we meet a young artist named John Cadigan, who suffered a psychotic break...People Say I'm CrazyDocumentaryPT87MUnratedIn People Say I'm Crazy, a fascinating and moving personal documentary, we meet a young artist named John Cadigan, who suffered a psychotic break...2004-05-20Palo Alto
Genre: Documentary; Director: John Cadigan, Katie Cadigan; Release Date Limited: 04/30/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Palo Alto
Posted May 20 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!