This is the best crazy-teens-in-Sweden novel you’ve never heard of. Hell, it’s the natural successor to The Catcher in the Rye – assuming Holden Caulfield grew up just above the Arctic Circle on the dotted line where Swedes speak a rocky Finnish dialect and can describe the ritual of a blistering communal sauna with ribald gusto. It’s a singular anthropological dispatch from a permanently frozen Lake Wobegon, and a tribute to the power of international pop culture as sensitive to local home culture as Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity. His senses busted open by a Beatles album (and the song ”Ollyu nidis lav”), the young hero of Niemi’s earthy story mixes up vignettes of childhood – a funeral, a wedding, sexual fever, fundamentalist religion – into a dazzling pop album all his own. We can only imagine the punch of the original Swedish text; Laurie Thompson’s zinging English translation is its own kind of rock & roll heaven.
Popular Music From Vittula This is the best crazy-teens-in-Sweden novel you've never heard of. Hell, it's the natural successor to The Catcher in the Rye -- assuming Holden...Popular Music From VittulaFictionMikael Niemi This is the best crazy-teens-in-Sweden novel you've never heard of. Hell, it's the natural successor to The Catcher in the Rye -- assuming Holden...2004-05-21
Genre: Fiction; Author: Mikael Niemi
Posted May 21 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!