This is the best crazy-teens-in-Sweden novel you’ve never heard of. Hell, it’s the natural successor to The Catcher in the Rye – assuming Holden Caulfield grew up just above the Arctic Circle on the dotted line where Swedes speak a rocky Finnish dialect and can describe the ritual of a blistering communal sauna with ribald gusto. It’s a singular anthropological dispatch from a permanently frozen Lake Wobegon, and a tribute to the power of international pop culture as sensitive to local home culture as Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity. His senses busted open by a Beatles album (and the song ”Ollyu nidis lav”), the young hero of Niemi’s earthy story mixes up vignettes of childhood – a funeral, a wedding, sexual fever, fundamentalist religion – into a dazzling pop album all his own. We can only imagine the punch of the original Swedish text; Laurie Thompson’s zinging English translation is its own kind of rock & roll heaven.
Popular Music From Vittula This is the best crazy-teens-in-Sweden novel you've never heard of. Hell, it's the natural successor to The Catcher in the Rye -- assuming Holden...Popular Music From VittulaFictionMikael Niemi This is the best crazy-teens-in-Sweden novel you've never heard of. Hell, it's the natural successor to The Catcher in the Rye -- assuming Holden...2004-05-21
Genre: Fiction; Author: Mikael Niemi
Posted May 21 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!